South East Asian High Speed Rail Project

The final resting place for old RPs.
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin
Factbook: viewtopic.php?p=2729#p2729

South East Asian High Speed Rail Project

Post by Alanston »

As part of the Nusantaran Development Program, the Minister of Infrastructure for Majapahit, Labuh bin Rabu, has decided to reach out to @Republic of Siam to discuss a potential high speed rail network from Singapore to Bangkok. The Siamese representative is invited to Kuala Lumpur to discuss the proposal.
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

Re: South East Asian High Speed Rail Project

Post by Republic of Siam »

Siam would be happy to discuss the proposal. As the Minister of Infrastructure for Siam, Sawat Pridi is sent to Kuala Lumpur to discuss the logistics of a project of that scale. Her plane touches down at 3:10 in the afternoon on a sunny day in Majapahit.
IC Year - 2020
Prime Minister - Kamon Wattana
Location - Modern Day Thailand, parts of Laos and Cambodia

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

Sawat Pridi would be met at the airport by an aide, who would take her to the Petronas Towers, where the meeting is set to take place. Once there, she would be taken to a conference room on the 64th floor with a view overlooking the city. On the desk would be a digital display with a map of the Indochinese Peninsula, highlighting current road networks and international borders.

Minister Labuh bin Rabu would greet Sawat Pridi as she enters the room with his hands folded together and a formal bow, before offering her a seat and some coffee, tea, or water. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with me to discuss this project, as you know it is a large endeavour, and it is my hope that we might be able to begin construction as soon as possible. With regards to the network, there are certain factors to discuss, such as the border crossing, funding for the project, rail network usage, and stops along the route. We would also need to discuss which trains to use on the route, though the obvious choice would be our own trains, the Komodo.

"I think we can begin by hearing your thoughts and concerns so far, and go from there."
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

Sawat sat at the table, crossing on leg neatly over the other before peering at the map.
"Well, our biggest concern is if any infrastructure will have to be demolished to make room for the train. We value our small rural communities and we don't want the addition of a large railroad to disrupt their peace and way of life."
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

Bin Radu would nod understandingly, "Of course, that is a valid concern, and one which we are keen on avoiding at all costs. As such, we are keen on ensuring that the route chosen is as least disruptive as possible. Part of the way in which we hope to accomplish this is by running the line atop a viaduct system, thus minimizing its impact on the terrain and ensuring a smoother passage. This should minimize the need to demolish infrastructure. Similarly, we would aim to select a route that goes through as few towns and villages as possible, save only for the need to construct a stop for the line in one of the larger cities along the way. In these cases we could either build the tracks above existing roads, or tunnels underneath the city, depending on the location of the city and what is best suited for the location. We would, of course, also be interested in helping Siam upgrade their main highway from our border to Bangkok as well, which could possibly be the guidelines for our rail line."
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

"Well, that does indeed bring comfort to the Siamese people, and thank you for considering our populace. One other question, how much would this cost? Of course viaducts would be more costly than simply running a track straight through. In regard to updating our highway, yes, that would be very beneficial for our two nations, as the easier travel will promote peace and collaboration."
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

"I understand that viaducts are the more costly option, but given the terrain we are working with we believe that it is the more feasible option overall. Naturally there will be some segments of the track where running it along the ground will make the most sense, with relation to terrain and cost, but I am certain that we can ensure such areas are also the least disruptive areas. As for funding the project, we were thinking a 65-35 split, with Majapahit providing 65% of the funding, and Siam providing the rest. Our nation is not in the business of international charity, and we believe that this project will benefit both our nations, as well as the entire SEA region, which is why we are willing to partner and fund such a large portion of it. However we do expect the Siamese government to fund a portion of the project."
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

"Of course we do understand that we will have to fund a portion of the work, and a 65-35 split will suit us nicely. Would that include the highway being updated as well? Siam is willing to pay for that if not."
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

"The highway would be the same 65-35 split. Naturally we would expect that Siamese workers are employed for your portion of the work, but if needed Nusantaran workers can be brought over as well. However Siam would need to assist in providing work visas and temporary housing for these workers for the duration of the project.

"If we are in agreement for these terms, the next obvious step would be the route. Obviously the first stop is Singapore, and the last is Bangkok, but as for the stops in between, I would suggest an extra stop or two in each of our nations, to facilitate travel between the cities. In Majapahit, I propose a stop in Kuala Lumpur, and in Sungai Petani. I would be open to hearing your thoughts on these proposed stops, as well as what your proposals for stops are."
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

"Of course, just what we expected." Sawat peered over the map again, tracing the route up to Bangkok with a finger, "I propose stops in Krabi, Ranong and Tanintharyi before the line swings in towards Bangkok. Would that be satisfactory?"
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

Bin Radu looks over the map, putting it into terrain view. "Hmm... Krabi would have some issues due to this mountain range here, as that would raise the cost of the line, due to the terrain. It would also be fairly out of the way. Would it not be better to run it through Surat Thani? As that city is more centrally located for the route to Bangkok. Similarly, as you can see, Ranong is very out of the way, and on the other side of a mountain range, and while a route through here would be feasible, it would also be very costly. I propose perhaps a stop at Mueang Chumphon District instead? Unfortunately I must say the same for Tanintharyi, due to its relative isolation in the mountains."
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

Sawat blushed and pushed back her hair, "Of course. I forgot about the mountain range. Then we shall only have it along the east side of the peninsula, stopping at Surat Thani, Chumphon and Samut Songkran before stopping at Bangkok."
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

"Completely understandable, however we could probably invest in a highway to those western cities, if you would be interested? As for the new stops, they seem acceptable to me. As for construction of the project, we would be willing to get started presently, all that remains is to agree on power sharing. I propose that we do a standard energy share, where the portion in Majapahit is powered by us, and your portion is powered by Siam. If this is agreeable, we can sign on these terms. Unless there was anything else you wished to discuss on the matter?"
Republic of Siam
Settler
Settler

"No, nothing I can think of. I am glad we have been able to come to an agreement. I shall tell construction teams to start work, and we shall take care of our side of the costs."
IC Year - 2020

OOC Stuff:
Pronouns
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanston »

"Excellent! I shall have a document drawn up for us to sign. Nusantaran workers will begin on our half right away, and our portion of the funds and resources will be supplied within the next few days. I look forward to the completion of this project."

With that, Labuh bin Rabu would make notes on what was agreed upon, before sending them off to be printed. A short while later an aide would come in with the documents for them to sign. Bin Rabu would sign first, before handing them over to Sawat Pridi for her to sign.
Moved from Statescraft to RP Archive on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:18 am by Alanston