The Tanganyika Pact

The final resting place for old RPs.
Mitteleuropa
Newcomer
Newcomer

The Tanganyika Pact

Post by Mitteleuropa »

President Mbala Dutoit invites representatives from Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Kenya to a meeting between all 5 nations in the town of Kalemie, on the banks of Lake Tanganyika. The somewhat remote location is chosen for a level of secrecy, along with another reason yet to be revealed to the other 4 nations, the Lake being a namesake for a proposed defensive, if not offensive political alliance in the making.
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

Re: The Tanganyika Pact

Post by Kingdom of Ireland »

The leaders of all four nations (Yoweri Museveni-Uganda, Paul Kagame-Rwanda, Évariste Ndayishimiye-Burundi, and Uhuru Kenyatta-Kenya) agree to attend. They make their way to Kalemie with little publicity to ensure the relative secrecy of the meeting is maintained.
Mitteleuropa
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mitteleuropa »

The 4 would arrive at a very nice looking property on the banks of the lake, with a strong but discrete security presence. President Dutoit meets all 4 at the door. "Gentlemen, thank you for accepting my invitation and remaining discrete. I promise this will be worth your time and effort."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Kingdom of Ireland »

The men file in one after another, each accompanied by a small retinue of aides. One after another, they exchange simple pleasantries with Dutoit until they are all inside. Museveni, the most seasoned of the statesmen, is the first to speak.

Thank you for inviting us to this wonderful estate, President Dutoit. I am sure I am not the only one curious though, as to the nature of our meeting.
Mitteleuropa
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Mitteleuropa »

The Congolese president knows experience when he sees it, and doesn't attempt to play coy with the purpose of the meeting. "The last 25 years in the Congo has been one of much change in vision, change in guiding hands. We have all been involved in this history one way or another; Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi as our allies in the armed struggle against the corrupt State of Zaire, and the formation of the T.E.C, Kenya for it's role in securing peace and ending the harsh bloodshed of our people. For all of your roles and contributions in this endeavor, we still hold immense gratitude, words cannot begin to elaborate the depth of this." He sighs, knowing all pleasantries are over, and unsure of the reactions of the foreign leaders to the upcoming proposal.

"We regret to inform today that this struggle is still ongoing, and the desired peace of the mid-late 1990's has led to some undesired consequences, and continues to linger over our people, just as the lost lives have from any war. It is the explicit position of the T.E.C that all Congolese people, and to the best of our ability to combat, all people of the world, do not see the horrors of enslavement in the 21st century. Disturbingly, the remnants of Northern Congo never formally quarantined and eradicated itself of slavery in the post-civil war era, as we have, and more troublesome, the existence of a slave economy to our north has seen some of our own citizens abducted, coerced and kidnapped across the border, and into slavery, alongside a number of hate crimes deriving from the tensions of our civil war."

He stands, as if an energy within him is screaming to be released. Rather than raise his tone, scream, or throw anything on his desk, he releases this energy through a light pace back and forth. "We have given the northern state much time, patience, and understanding to help resolve this situation, with all the support we can levy. The northerners seem uninterested, if not complicit in this slave economy, and have turned down all efforts we have made. This leaves us one option we do not wish to use lightly, but musn't delay any further, at risk of more victims during our delay. I am asking you for your support in a more assertive stance against the northern state, one which will reunify the Congo once more under a single state, one which has guaranteed the safety of it's people, the eradication of slavery, and the greater cooperation with Africa and the world as a whole."

He sits again, calming himself. "Though I wish for unconditional and unending support from your nations and your people, I understand this position is difficult. Today I will propose many plans, agreements, pacts, and more of the sort, but I will think no less of you, if you are unable to accept the most demanding of requests presented. If any nation here wishes to be removed from this situation entirely with clean hands, you are free to depart now, with my full understanding and respect. With your support 25 years ago, we were able to secure peace in the Congo with your support. I am asking once more for your collaboration in this endeavor, for the greater good of humanity, and I will repay this kindness in any way I can."
Moved from Statescraft to RP Archive on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:24 am by Alanston