Completely Unimportant Meeting

The final resting place for old RPs.
NCR
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Completely Unimportant Meeting

Post by NCR »

<<I understand that this is a sensitive point for you, clearly>> Sara nods, understanding.
<<And as such I accept your apologies. I'm only glad we can look at building a shared future.
Regarding the alternate proposals...>>
She stops, thinking, and looking pensive.

<<To be honest I would have to consult with my colleagues. But, on the top of my head, a few useful points come to mind. Indeed, you probably know of how much we care about the wealth of our citizens; a complete free trade and movement agreement, coupled with a complete exemption from tolls like the ones in Malacca, would make many people happy in the NCR, and be a good start.>> She seemd to stop, before adding something at the last second:

<<Also, what about joint administrative zones? Would that be too close to holding lands in Asia, or would your own presence be reassuring enough for you?>>
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin
Factbook: viewtopic.php?p=2729#p2729

Post by Alanston »

Song looks at Damarwulan, who shakes his head. "No, we would not be open to joint administrative zones either. Again, they are too close to holding land in Asia. Exemption from the tolls in Malacca would be quite a big thing to ask of us. Those tolls are used to pay for the defense of our waters and of that passage in particular. Not to mention the other necessities of the area. However, we could discuss a discount on the tolls for Californian vessels, as well as the possibility of docking rights for the lands we would gain in China." She pauses, thinking about the free trade and movement agreements, before continuing. "I'm sure we could open discussions on free trade, but free movement agreements are off the table completely. It goes against our culture and the acceptance of our people to allow westerners to freely come and go within our nation. We can, however, discuss easing visa requirements for tourists, but nothing more than that."

She turns to the @Atomic Alliance delegate. "What of you, what are your thoughts with regards to these terms, or are you still dead set on getting land in Asia?"
English Channel Union
Centurion
Centurion

Post by English Channel Union »

I am sorry but we must insist on some type of oversight on these provinces, whether individual or joint they hold possible strategic resources that could be utilized by a re-emerging empire after their collapse. The alliance, as indicated, has no interest in interfering with any democratic institutions that would be established following the conflict, nor the interference in the regional use of such resources, we are rather intent on preventing any misuse under the new governance. However, when reforming a state from a war-time dictatorship to a peacetime democracy, it requires a lot of effort and security to ensure the desired outcome, we must protect infrastructure and resources while maintaining/rebuilding these infrastructures and hosting new secure elections so the people can determine their identities, we will also be supporting the new government in the early stages.

If we fail to maintain these new institutions and withdrawal from the land immediately after the conflict, we will leave the infant government to stand on its own creating the opportune moment for another uprising for an authoritarian regime that could take control of these strategic resources. I doubt your state alone can oversee the entirety of the Feng Empire while rebuilding your new lands and any damaged infrastructure, being the closest to the mainland. Further to this, neither of us will have a permanent presence on the mainland Feng Empire, only a security presence to maintain the new democratic Feng/Chinese regime.

Jessica states, still insulted at the claims of imperialism.
Democracy thrives with the Atom

The Atomic Seal
Alanston
Site Admin
Site Admin
Factbook: viewtopic.php?p=2729#p2729

Post by Alanston »

Song's frown deepens. After consultation with Damarwulan, she gives her response. "I am afraid that it seems as though we are unable to come to a consensus here Ms Jessica. It would appear that you are still set on holding lands in Asia, something which, as we have both mentioned, is not acceptable. As such, I see no other choice but to finalize out talks and put aside our talks for a joint operation against the Chinese for another day. It is a pity that we have been unable to see eye to eye on this."

She pauses, which allows Damarwulan to step in. "If I may ask, do either of you have any further plans with regards to the Chinese that you wish to discuss, in light of this information, or anything else you wish to say before we bring our meeting to a close?"
English Channel Union
Centurion
Centurion

Post by English Channel Union »

This is a shame, however, the Alliance is still willing to participate whenever your government decides that a joint presence on the mainland would be necessary to protecting the infant democracy with each of our militaries withdrawing in unison once the new governance has solidified its legitimacy.

As indicated, we are not looking to own land nor establish a puppet governance as your state is against this, But simply our continued joint presence after the war to protect resources and institutions that may be a target in a re-emerging empire.

Jessica states, preparing to leave the meeting if it is still concluded here.
Democracy thrives with the Atom

The Atomic Seal
Moved from Statescraft to RP Archive on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:15 am by Alanston