Swahili Without the Coast

The final resting place for old RPs.
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

Swahili Without the Coast

Post by Kingdom of Ireland »

Oman requests a meeting with the President of Tanganyika to discuss the future of the two nations and future close cooperation, both political and economic. In a gesture of good faith and respect, Sultan Theyazin bin Haitham Al Said offers to come to Dodoma himself.
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

Re: Swahili Without the Coast

Post by Kingdom of Burgundy »

Samia Suluhu Hassan, President of Tanzania, accepts the Omani request and welcomes the Sultan to come to Dodoma.

__Skipping to Meeting__

"Sultan Al Said, I welcome you to my country and to our capital, how did you fare on your journey? I am looking forward to our discussion."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"Thank you, President Hassan, for accepting this meeting. My journey was most agreeable."
The Sultan extends a hand to his side, and an aide behind him produces a cup ready with hot tea. The Sultan takes a sip and promptly returns the cup to the aide.
"I have come to discuss the future of Tanganyika and Oman. I believe both our homelands have benefits to offer the other. Oman has been blessed by Allah with bountiful reserves of oil which has been able to generate us much wealth, but I am afraid that is the only material blessing the lord felt the need to bestow. Tanganyika, on the other hand, has been granted great swathes of natural bounties. However, history has not been kind to your people of course, and the Europeans took advantage. Even now, with the scourge of overt colonial domination behind this part of the continent, its specter still haunts this blessed continent. Without Western dollars, it seems Tanzania has been unable to extract the wealth you are owed to benefit your people, and the westerners use neocolonialist policies to ensure as little of that wealth remains here, where it belongs. Instead they take it with them, investing insofar as they are able to take your natural bounty."
The Sultan motions for another cup of tea, this time having another aide place a fresh one for the President.
"I come here with a new proposal, one which will benefit both our peoples. I wish to see Oman's wealth flood into Tanganyika. To both develop the capacity to extract the material from your beautiful country, but to pay a fair cost for these resources. Additionally, I wish to see all of East Africa prosper. I would like to see a free trade agreement between our peoples, free travel of peoples, and a coordination of Tanganyikan foreign policy with that of Oman's to ensure futher cooperation is possible. Omani investment will extend far beyond that of the Chinese or Westerners, because with free trade and passage of peoples a wealthier Tanganyika will mean a wealthier Oman, and vice-versa. I wish to see Tanganyika and beyond be developed to the point of the cutting edge.
The Sultan takes a breath, and changes from an optimistic tone to a more serious one.
"Despite what you hear Europeans say in the modern age, you must know they still see you and your neighbors in a lesser light than they do each other. They will never treat the people of Africa with the respect they deserve. I know many from that continent see my people in the same way. That we are to be guided, and that we should emulate them instead of finding our own way. They abused our ancestors for economic benefit and wonder why some of us are left in the dust. Here, today, I hope to begin something that will show them how wrong they are."
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"You speak flowery words Sultan, they seem tempting, but how can I trust that what you say is true and Oman won't treat Tanzania the same way it has been treated in the past?"
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"A valid concern, Madame President. I can offer as an assurance, a goal of my greater prospects for the region we share. I wish to see the Indian Ocean united in a forum where we may collectively work, instead of a series of agreements and stipulations between different states. With this cooperative, we may set regulations to prevent abuse of your people and your land."
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"It is not much of an assurance, Sultan, if such assurances are not provided and encoded before I agree to anything. Should I sign away our autonomy and your assurances never materialize, then what?"
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"Madame President, I believe you may have misunderstood the purpose of my statement. I simply offered that as a theoretical to determine what would be an acceptable assurance. If you would be open to such an idea, I would be more than happy to go into great lengths and create an agreement which would be beneficial to us both."
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"I believe that would be for the best Sultan. If certain protections for my nation and my people can be assured, then I trust that we can come to an agreement."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"What sort of protections did you have in mind?"
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"Assurances that the riches of my nation will, at least in part, be directed back into my nation. In addition to what I hope are going to be significant Omani investments into Tanzania, which I believe your entire proposed collective will benefit from."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"Assurances can and will be given. Oman is of course more than willing to commit to significant investments in Tanganyika, as your people prospering will only benefit us all. We view such investment as easily repaying itself in increased economic output for us both after you have been able to utilize them, so not only is it a proper moral standing, but economically beneficial to us both as well."
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"Then I think you will find me in agreement with your proposal Sultan."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

"A wonderful thing to hear, Madame President. Now, there is another matter I wished to discuss. I would like to assure you that irrespective of your answer, we will go ahead with the agreement already made. As you of course are well aware, the degree to which Oman's influence has gone into the continent of Africa from the coast has varied over the course of history, and I would like to propose a change which would also benefit us both. I would like to transfer our holdings which cut Lindi and Mtwara off from the coast, in exchange for control over Pwani and Tanga. We will be more able to administrate our holdings, and Tanganyika will finally have port access. Of course, you would receive funding to turn the city of Mtwara into a port capable of handling the volume of seaborne trade going in and out of your country."
Kingdom of Burgundy
Settler
Settler

"So long as the people there are protected and governed fairly, and allowed to travel into Tanzania and back into Oman freely. then that seems agreeable."
Kingdom of Ireland
Centurion
Centurion

A treaty is drawn up to finalize the concerns and agreements made in the meeting between the Sultan and the President, and results in the following:
  • The United Sultanate of Oman and the Republic of Tanganyika will enter into a free trade agreement
  • The United Sultanate of Oman and the Republic of Tanganyika will enter into an open border agreement
  • The United Sultanate of Oman pledges to do the following, and if Oman fails to the treaty becomes void:
  • Invest in Tanganyikan infrastructure
  • Invest in Tanganyikan private industry
  • Utilization of Tanganyikan labor for additional jobs to promote economic activity within Tanganyika
  • Invest in Tanganyikan heavy industry for resource extraction
  • Assistance in modernization and expansion of the Tanganyikan armed forces
  • The Republic of Tanganyika will defer to the United Sultanate of Oman for foreign policy matters concerning international trade agreements, defensive agreements, and significant military involvements
  • The Republic of Tanganyika and the United Sultanate of Oman enter a mutual defense pact
  • The coastlines of the Tanganyikan provinces of Lindi and Mtwara are ceded to the Republic of Tanganyika
  • The Tanganyikan provinces of Pwani and Tanga are ceded to the United Sultanate of Oman
Moved from Statescraft to RP Archive on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:22 am by Alanston